First off, What is TED?
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. It began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment, and Design converged, and today covers topics of science, to business, to global issues. TED Talks are given in more than 100 languages in communities around the world.
This is the official mission of TED. “TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. On TED.com, we’re building a clearinghouse of free knowledge from the world’s most inspired thinkers — and a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other, both online and at TED and TEDx events around the world, all year long.”
This means that the idea TED is to give people from everyone around the world, access to new knowledge and a way to share it with new people. They want to spread and spark new ideas for people and make sure that it’s all accessible to anyone in the future. Their website, TED.com, is just one of the many hubs that you can use to find more information the world that is TED.
At a TED conference, the world’s leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes or less. TED speakers have included Roger Ebert, Sheryl Sandberg, Bill Gates, Elizabeth Gilbert, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Brian Greene, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Three major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Vancouver, Canada, simultaneous with TEDActive, in Whistler, BC; and the TEDGlobal Conference takes place each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
On TED.com, talks from TED conferences are shared with the world for free as TED Talks videos. A new TED Talk is posted every weekday. Through the Open Translation Project, TED Talks are subtitled by volunteers worldwide in more than 90 languages. Through our distribution networks, TED Talks are shared on TV, radio, Netflix and many websites.
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. TED is the major event that jumps around from specific places, and then there are the smaller talk events like, TEDxDayton, TEDxVancouver, TEDxCairo, TEDxGatewayArch, TEDxPantaCana, TEDxPortBouet, TEDxYerevan, as well as so many other TEDx events that occur all around the world.
The TEDx initiative grants free licenses to people around the world to organize TED-style events in their communities with TED Talks and live speakers. More than 5,000 TEDx events have been held, and selected talks from these events are also turned into TED Talks videos.
What are other forms of TEDx talk events?
To be clear, there is only one TED conference, but there are many different types of talk events that can be attended. You can read the full information on the talk types here.
- University events like TEDxOSU, which takes place in Ohio.
- Youth events like [email protected], which takes place in Ohio.
- ED event like TEDxWestVancouverED, which takes place in Canada.
- Salon Events like TEDxGhentSalon, which takes place in Belgium.
- TEDxLive events like TEDxBucharestLive, which takes place in Bucharest.
- TEDxWomen like TEDxOakParkWomen, which takes place in Illinois.
- Business event and internal events like TEDxGoogleLondon that took place in London.
- Library events like TEDxJuneauLibrary, that took place in Alaska.
How can you put on a TEDx event?
If you like what you have read and would want to put on your own event, you will need to understand that it is a large responsibility that will take a lot of time and energy to put on. Creating your own TEDx event is also bound by a series of rules and guidelines that you’ll have to follow to be allowed to put on the event. You’ll first have to set up your timeline for when your event will be as compared to when your event license is granted, the application process can take up to eight months. After you are granted a license, you’ll have 12 months to organize your event. Applying for a license for the first time can be difficult and a little overwhelming; luckily, TED has many tips that you can look to for help.
What are certain things to know about can or can’t happen at a TEDx event?
As part of the specific guidelines for having a TEDx event, some of the main rules include:
- A TEDx event isn’t an industry or marketing conference. It isn’t limited to one topic or field. It isn’t used to sell something.
- A TEDx event is not organized by or for special-interest political, religious or commercial groups.
- A TEDx event cannot be used to raise money, not even for a charity.
- A TEDx event cannot partner with another conference or event.
- A TEDx event can’t be co-branded with an institution except under specific license types, college or university, or internal events.
- A TEDx event is not a platform for professional speakers, such as motivational speakers and professional life coaches. Its purpose is to give a platform to those who don’t often have one.
- A TEDx event is not focused solely on entrepreneurship, business or technology. A diverse pool of topics is key.